Expertise Center for Eco-testing Laboratory
Gas Chromatography Electron Capture Detector
Expertise Centre for Eco-testing Laboratory (EXCEL) carries out research & development in the field of analytical sciences and provides value added services in the form of chemical testing for leather, leather accessories and leather chemicals.
EXCEL was initially established in January 1996 with funding from the Ministry of Commerce through Council of Leather Exports. In view of the importance of leather export and the restrictions on several of the chemicals by importing countries, it became necessary to serve the industry with the modernised chemical testing facility. EXCEL has now emerged as a leader in leather analytical science.
The chemical testing facility of the laboratory has been upgraded with modern chemical testing instruments through the funding from CSIR. The state-of-the-art EXCEL was inaugurated and dedicated to the Nation on 29th September, 2014, during the 72nd CSIR Foundation Day celebration in CSIR-CLRI.
Activity of EXCEL includes:
- Development of remediation and preventive measures for harmful chemical substances.
- Development of test procedures for restricted chemicals.
- Quality control testing for leather, leather products and leather auxiliaries.
- Trace level analysis of restricted substances in leather and leather products.
- Dissemination of knowledge for production of clean leather.
- Teaching/training of B.Tech, M.Tech students and professional trainees.
Current R & D Activities
- Determination of hexavalent chromium in highly colored samples
- Integrated and fast analysis procedure for formaldehyde residues in consumer products
- Removal of hazardous substances from leather
- Process for uniform dyeing of leather
- Development of adsorbent / photocatalysts for water/wastewater treatment
- Identification and analysis of the chemicals responsible for unpleasant odour in leather and allied products
- Analysis of Phenols in footwear
Services offered by the EXCEL
- Chemical Testing
- Consultancy services on chemical testing, avoidance of hazardous materials in leather, preparation of specification for purchase of high-end analytical instruments
- Quality control testing for leather, leather products and leather auxiliaries
- Training in Techniques for chemical analysis, sample preparation techniques, wet-chemical analysis and instrumental analytical techniques.