Particulars of organisation, functions and duties
The World's largest Leather Research Institute, was founded on 24 April, 1948. CLRI made an initiative with foresight to link technology system with both academy and industry.
CLRI, today, is a central hub in Indian leather sector with direct roles in education, research, training, testing, designing, forecasting, planning, social empowerment and leading in science and technology relating to leather.
State-of-art facilities in CLRI support, innovation in leather processing, creative designing of leather products viz. leather garment, leather goods, footwear and development of novel environmental technologies for leather sector.
Functions of Research Council
Functions of Management Council
- Advise on the formulation of R&D programmes and future directions of activities of the laboratory keeping in view the Five Year Plans, national priorities and opportunity areas.
- Suggest networking with other CSIR National Laboratories on programmes of mutual interest.
- Review R&D activities and research programmes and advise on future dirctions.
- Advise on fostering linkages between the Laboratory, industry and potential clients.
- Constitute Selection Committees and Assessment Committees/Peer Groups for selection, merit and assessment promotions of Scientific staff.
- Any other function as may be assigned by Director General/Governing Body.
- Administer and manage the affairs and environs of the laboratory
- Write off irrecoverable monetary losses and Stores within the limits prescribed by CSIR
- Recommend the resource allocation for R&D activities/facilities of Lab./Instt.
- Monitor the progress of R&D and other activities of the Lab./Instt.
- Recommend devolution of powers to the Project Leaders for the proper implementation of the projects/activities.
- Approve contract R&D, consultancy projects and licensing of IPR beyond the powers of Director.
- Consider the annual report of the National Laboratory.
- Constitute selection committees and assessment committees for all Technical staff.
- Any other matter, as my be referred by the Director-General.